Tuesday, September 1, 2009

miniature portrait

I am no expert but I love miniature portrait from teh 1800's. There are moments frozen in time that represent moments frozen in time from a life gone by. They are in a way what digitals are for us today with one big difference, they are not perfect and the style and personaluty of teh painter come through very clearly.






Some are very primitive in nature like this baby girl. Others tell the story of lives that had some impact like this portrait of Juliet Toussaint hanging in New York. She is one of the few African American portrait I have ever come across.








I have a couple at the house but always look for more. The ones I like are the ones with the deep black frame. The portrait has to be interesting but no necessarily good looking. The portrait below for example makes me smile and sometimes that is enough.








Gaining in popularity unfortunately the prices are going up but if you can snatch one up and you fall in love grab it. These miniature portrait are great. Did I mention that mine are hung in a big shadow box? It gives them a brand new personality!

No comments:

Post a Comment